What is Slick Write?
Slick Write is a free tool that checks your writing for potential stylistic mistakes and other features of interest. Whether you're a blogger, novelist, or student writing an essay for school, Slick Write can help take your writing to the next level. Curious? Try a quick demo, or enter your own text in the editor tab.
Get the extensions
The extensions are the easiest way to submit your work to Slick Write. They're available for the following software:
- OpenOffice & LibreOffice Works with Windows and Linux (Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, and other distros that have x-www-browser). Untested with MacOS. Reload your document or restart OpenOffice after installing to make the submission icon show up.
- Chrome & Firefox Check your blog posts, Google Docs, selections, and most text boxes.
- Wordpress This is the best choice for bloggers who use Internet Explorer, Safari, Opera, or mobile devices.
About the demo
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote the Sherlock Holmes series one hundred years ago, and writing style has changed since then. The passive voice has fallen out of favor, and "the" is used less frequently, just to name a couple of the changes. Additionally, Doyle gave his characters stylistic quirks to color their speech. As a consequence, the novel has more highlighting than one might expect from such a renowned work. One thing that stayed the same, however, is the importance of flow.
February 18, 2014
- - Added another preset, "The basics"
February 13, 2014
- - Added a preset for essays
- - Turned off dialog checking and "said" replacements in the Fiction preset
February 12, 2014
- - Fixed a bug that was hiding critique views unnecessarily
Bust your writer's block, and create new metaphors by playing the word association game. To begin, type a word or phrase in the box below, and hit enter. To quickly find associations for your own text, highlight a word or phrase in it, and use the toolbox popup.
The associator uses artificial intelligence to learn contextual word associations from real literature, so it may return offensive results.